27 Photos That Show What Palm Beach County Used To Look Like
The first schoolhouse in Palm Beach County in 1886.
The first school teacher was 16-year-old Hattie Gale, shown in the doorway here. (image via)
In the 1890s, then-notorious Banyan Street was the only place operating saloons, gambling halls and brothels.
It was the only place where alcohol was even legal. As a result, city leaders changed the name to First Street between 1925 to 1989. City leaders then decided that enough time had passed that no one would remember the street’s past. (image via)
The Breakers was built as the Palm Beach Inn in 1896.
Henry Flagler renamed his hotel The Breakers when guests continually requested rooms “over the breakers.” It burned down twice in its lifetime and once during Flager’s, but after its first reopening, it housed guests such as the Rockefellers, Vanderbilts, Andrew Carnegie and J.P. Morgan. Rooms started at $4 per night, including three meals a day. (image via)
The nation’s longest-running illegal gambling casino was in Palm Beach from 1898 to 1945.
Edward Riley Bradley owned and operated the nation’s longest-running illegal gambling casino in Palm Beach from 1898 to 1945. (image via)
The old mule train.
In the 1900s visitors rode the mule train from the Royal Poinciana Hotel to The Breakers Hotel. (image via)
Early Delray packing house.
Early Delray had many farmers. Pictured here is a vegetable packing house in Delray Beach. Date unknown. (image via)
The Washington Birthday Ball.
The Washington Birthday Ball was held in the Royal Poinciana Hotel’s ballroom in 1908. (image via)
The Good Samaritan hospital opened on May 19, 1920
The Good Samaritan hospital opened as the area’s first permanent hospital. It started with 35 beds but grew to 135 beds by 1928, including state-of-the-art operating rooms and a Class A rating from the American College of Surgeons. (image via)
The Kettler theater in the 1920s.
Former child actor Carl Kettler replaced the city’s first theater, the Bijou (which he opened in 1908), with The Kettler (pictured here in the 1920s). It cost $500,000 in 1920s dollars and boasted 1,400 seats, colored lights, fans and smoking rooms. (image via)
The Boca Raton Resort & Club opened as The Cloister Inn in 1926.
The resort was designed by famed architect Addison Mizner. (image via)
The Paramount Theatre opened on January 26, 1927.
In 1982, the town of Palm Beach declared it a town landmark. It has survived 83 years of demolition attempts and hurricanes. (image via)
Palm Beach Junior College opened in 1933.
Palm Beach Junior College (today Palm Beach State College) was founded in 1933. (image via)
Boca Raton Army Air Field opened in 1942.
In 1942, flight and radar training base Boca Raton Army Air Field opened – home to about 16,000 troops. (image via)
1960s printing press.
L. Boswell for The Palm Beach Post works with a stereotype dry mat, which was a part of the printing press process. (image via)
The West Palm Beach Library held its opening ceremony in 1962.
It was later replaced with a new library in a new location in 2009. The original was demolished in May of the same year. (image via)
The Beach Club was built as the Coral Beach Club in 1941.
It was demolished and rebuilt as the Beach Club we know today in 1970. (image via)
West Palm Beach ferry.
Bruce Coyler and his mother Lucile owned and operated the ferry that carried tourists and residents from the West Palm Beach municipal docks on Flagler Drive to the Biltmore Hotel in Palm Beach until 1966. In 1941, the ferry was remodeled for war-time ferry service. (image via)